Monday, August 23, 2010

System Description by Don Pierce: Brake Temperture Panel

"Don Pierce is a L-1011 Flight Test Engineer (Ship 3), then in Customer Training, then he had his own business doing maintenance training for L-1011 customers. Don is nothing but amazing in his knowledge of the L-1011. I am going to post several conversations on systems that I have had with Don over the past few weeks"

The BRAKE TEMPerature Panel is located in the upper RH corner of the FE panel.

The amber (yellow) HIGH TEMP light will illuminate when any of the eight brake's temperature is 275°C or higher. The red OVERHEAT light comes on when the temperature exceeds 400°C. To find out which brake is the "hot one" the FE then latches in one of the four "brake" switchlights, and monitors the position of the needles on the adjacent indicator - which has a "green range" up the 275, theen amber to 400, then red. With this indication the crew can determine which brake is sending the "high temperature" or "overheat" signal. There is also a BRAKE TEMP light on the pilots' caution and warning panel, which illuminates when the red light on the FE panel illuminates.

The ranges of the scale on your indicator don't match the material have. Perhaps your indicator is in °F. I don't know. (Perhaps my material is out-of-date.) Other than the numbers being of question, the manner in which the operates is the same.

The FE should have only one of the four switchlights latched in at a time, of course. When the switchlight is "in", the indicators will show the temperature of the selected brake pair. Pressing the TEST switch will cause the brake temperatures to rise 100°C to 150°C. If their temperatures had been high, but not in a range to turn on a light, it might happen during the test. For example, if a brake temperature were, lets say, 250°C, pressing the TEST button will rise the indicator into the temperature range that will cause the HIGH TEMP light to l=illuminate.

Brake temperature are continuously monitored, but if two or more are latched in at the same time, then an erroneous reading will appear on the indicator.

1 comment:

  1. I did more research on the temperature band. And you are absolutely right! I come to find out that the temperature band in the instrument I have is not the original one, but a Nacelle Temperature Band from a B747. I am going to hunt down the right one for the L-1011.

    Thank You for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete