
X-Plane does not by default provide a facility for the HF data words that the Gables Radio Head transmits, but they are still fun to capture and perhaps Laminar will incorporate some type of HF function in the future. The relevant HF data word consists of two words transmitted in sequence with a label of 205 and is also differentiated by the words SDI:


Here is how I map the ARINC 429 words to the x-Plane DataRef:
- ARINC 429 Label 030 SDI 01 (0b01) maps to sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/com1_frequency_hz
- ARINC 429 Label 030 SDI 02 (0b10) maps to sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/com2_frequency_hz
ARINC Word information taken from "Mark 33 Digital Information Transfer System (DITS) Specification"
I began a project, years ago, and for MSFS, to create a fake HF radio. You'd dial in a HF frequency, and if it matched a pre-defined value, it would silently change your COM1 radio to a preset frequency. This was intended for VATSIM use, because they don't simulate HF either, they use VHF for the oceanic controllers. My project, if I'd completed it, would allow a pilot to enter the real-world HF frequency and appear to use the HF radio to speak to VATSIM's oceanic controllers, while actually using COM1 and VATSIM's substitute VHF channel.
ReplyDeleteI could complete such a project very quickly and easily in X-Plane; I'm sure you could do so just as well! Likewise a COM3 function. The challenging part is using OpenAL to put HF distortions onto the XSquawkBox input and output.