Friday, November 20, 2009

Original Flight Hardware: Exterior Lights and Emergency Lighting



The Exterior Light and Emergency Lighting panel is located directly in front of the captain on the overhead panel of the Lockheed L-1011. The panel controls the exterior lighting of the L-1011 as well as the interior emergency lighting. It is directly adjacent to the Standby Power and Interior Lighting panel as can be seen below.




The Exterior Lighting switches have the following functions:

LANDING LIGHT SWITCH - Controls left and right landing lights mounted in wing fillet leading edges.
NOSE WHEEL LANDING LIGHT - Controls nosewheel light.
NOSEWHEEL TAXI LIGHT SWITCH - Provides low intensity control of lights mounted on nosewheel strut.
RUNWAY TURNOFF - controls lights in fuselage wing fillet leading edge
LOGO - controls the lights illuminating the company logo.

POSITION LIGHTS SWITCH - controls forward and rear position lights mounted on wing tips.
STROBE LIGHTS SWITCH - controls forward and aft strobe lights mounted on each wing tip.
ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS SWITCH - controls rotating lights on top and bottom of fuselage.
WING FLOOD LIGHTS SWITCH - controls fuselage mounted lights to illuminate wing leading edges and engine inlets
WHEEL WELL LIGHTS SWITCH - controls wheel well lights.



The EMERGENCY LIGHTING SWITCH and UNARM LIGHT control the emergency lighting for flight station escape hatch, cabin exit signs, cabin aisle lights, galley, emergency evacuation slide areas and lavatories.



Panel Location

3 comments:

  1. Hi...Do you have any dimensions for the exact positions of anti collision beacons, and wingtip lighting? I ask as I will shortly be building a 1/100th scale l1011 with added LED lighting. I am hoping to the build a replica of the Eastern L1011 EA310. Many thanks...Great website, very informative.
    Best regards
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny, I scanned some of the structural materials that I have at home. However, I was not able to find it right away. There is a lot more structural information and I will try to locate that for you at the museum. You might have to give me a few days. Curd.

      Delete
  2. Nice.This article contain lot of information about Exterior Lights and Emergency Lighting.

    ReplyDelete