![]() |
| L-1011 Trainer - Digital I/O - SO Station |
Interfacing a completely analog cockpit with computers is a fascinating challenge. Generally there are a number of different types of input and output signals that need to be generated to interface with a 1970s era cockpit:
- Switch Input (which is digital in nature .. 0V for off and 24V for on)
- Annunciator and Switchlight Output (again, these are very binary in nature ... on/off)
- Voltage Output
- Current Output
- ARINC 429 Digital Avionics Data
- 3 Phase 400Hz Synchro Input (Analog Waveform)
- 3 Phase 400Hz Synchro Output (Analog Waveform)
These signals are progressively more complicated to generator with a computer from top to bottom. what I have been working on the last few weeks is the digital I/O interfacing of the first two categories ... the switch input and annunciator output.
To do so, Jim Blasco and myself are installing bus connected I/O modules into the S/O station, the overhead panel and the Main Instrument Panel. The images in the posting show the I/O modules partially installed and the cabling started. The image at the top of the posting is the set of I/O modules in the S/O station. The S/O station has by far the largest amount of switch elements.
The two images below show the digital I/O station for the overhead and the MIP respectively. The MIP has the fewest amount of I/O switch position, however it has a good amount of annunciator lights and and elements that are requires by the Autopilot/Flight Director System.



No comments:
Post a Comment