Saturday, September 11, 2010

Avionics Bending: Chronometer / Clock (Analysis)


The clock/chronometer that I picked for the Lockheed L-1011 project was used on many different aircraft types, including the L-1011. The pair of clocks that I use for the main instrument panel are sourced from a Boeing 737.

The chronometer is a beautiful old analog instrument that uses stepper motors for both the GMT time as well as the sweeping second hand. Below is a description of the clock controls.


The top picture of the instrument shows the two tapes. The top tape is for hours on a 24h clock and the bottom tape displays minutes. The tape is advanced by a sprocket mechanism that is similar to that in an old film camera.

1) Top View


2) Left Side


3) Bottom



4) Right hand side.


There are several versions of this clock, below is a pin-out that applies this this particular clock only:

Pin 1 -> Integral Lighting 5V DC or AC
Pin 2 -> Integral Lighting 5V DC or AC
Pin 3 -> Instrument Power 24-28VDC
Pin 4 -> Instrument Power GND
Pin 5 -> Instrument Case Ground
Pin 6 -> Chrono Generator Phase 1
Pin 7 -> Chrono Generator Phase 2
Pin 8 -> Remote Switch 1
Pin 9 -> Remote Switch Common (12V-15V)
Pin 10 -> Remote Switch 2

4 comments:

  1. Not sure I've ever seen one with the GMT display but thanks for the pictures, its really cool to see what's inside of these things I only got to see from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a pretty nice unit. They are made by The Haydon Company and from the tag it came out of a FEDEX airplane. I really love the number tapes. Actually, most of the autopilot digital displays use a similar tape mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any information on the pin wirring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I updated the original blog post with the device pin-out.

    ReplyDelete